Search This Blog

Saturday, July 23, 2022

Maria's Mexican Kitchen


I wasn't aware that you could fall in love with a chef until in my late 30's, my husband and I began consistently eating over and over at the same group of restaurants.  Sunday brunch at the bar of Pacific Table, Friday evening drinks and appetizers with friends on the patio of Press CafĂ© (btw great location to allow kids to run around outdoors), and an obsession with the dip duo at The Tavern.  Many might not be aware that all of these (plus a currently shuttered FW Cork & Pig location) are the brain-child of Chef Felipe Armenta.  Should I mention I've even graced the Midland/Odessa Cork & Pig location with my presence - why stay exclusive to Fort Worth?

Transforming the shuttered Fort Worth Hoffbrau Steak & Grill House location into a true Mexican experience, Maria's atmosphere alone is worth the price of admission.  It's almost deceiving to believe that for 38 years the building housed a staple steak restaurant for the Fort Worth community.  

The first visit was in November 2021 on a whim while out and about in town.  It was packed - which lead to immediate running to the bar where we snagged two seats and immediately settled in for a lovely meal.  The fresh made salsa and tortilla chips are out of this world - like could eat a meal out of this good.  

My second visit was my "going away" party for work in December 2021.  This was a large group of over 10 people - several of them from all over the United States.  We had a wonderful time trying new drinks, sharing appetizers, and it was so fun to see what everyone ordered off the menu.  

I know! You want to know what I ordered!  Unfortunately, this specific dish is no longer on the menu in the form I ordered - Baby Rock Shrimp Enchiladas.  However, it has been replaced by a close relative in the Seafood Enchiladas.  Let's just say the plating of three enchiladas with three sauces is amazing.  The three sauces are unique on their own, but together created a balance from sweet to hot that I have yet to find elsewhere in Mexican dining.  

Our most recent visit was for my birthday in April (I know I've been working on this post for a few months).  I went for something lighter knowing I would dessert it up later in evening.  The Los Cabos Seafood Salad (pictured) was fresh, crisp, with just the right hint of spice.  While our food is always amazing, the service on this visit left us a little wanting...  Our daughter remembers the wait for our food more than the experience and food which bummed me out.

Nevertheless, we will return.

If you're looking for something with vegan or vegetarian options - they haven't quite hit the mark yet.  There are several great pescatarian options - and I'm sure they would give you the "you can order a salad without the meat".  It appears they have some options veg style for brunch, but we've not gone for brunch so I can't speak to that menu specifically.  However, if it's like any of his other restaurants brunch - I'm sure it is amazing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment