Search This Blog

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Cafe Modern - It sparked The Start

Overall this was a great experience. If you have never been inside the Modern Museum, it is definitely something you should do. If you are not a fan of modern art, then grabbing brunch over the weekend is a great way to enjoy the wonderful architecture and landscaping - a view only available inside the museum.
They provide several options for both vegetarian and vegan alike. This made my heart jump for joy, since I have an exceptionally hard time trying to find a restaurant that provides at a minimum a decent vegetarian option, much less anything without dairy or eggs.
As a starter each table is provided fresh baked scones. These were some of the best scones I have ever tasted. I chose to try the Modern Omelet, and wow what a surprise. The Omelet was fluffy and stuffed so full it was overflowing on the plate. I was very skeptical about the stewed tomato, but it gave the egg, feta and mushroom a nice acidic balance. The potato's were seasoned nicely and were cooked well.
Foodie's Husband started with the Winter House Salad - which was presented beautifully, but for my taste that is where it ended. I found the salad dressing to be completely bland for the robust spinach. After tasting his, I wouldn't order it again. But he found it "okay". For his main entree he ordered the Chicken Fried Benedict. What an original twist on a great classic. It was "chicken fried" pork tenderloin on an English Muffin, topped with the poached egg and hollandaise sauce. I don't think it was too bad - he cleared his plate, and if it wouldn't have looked bad - he might have licked the plate. I have to say, it looked and smelled wonderful.
I do have to give you the entire picture. Don't expect them to be super snappy. It took a little longer than it should have to receive our coffee and water. We also received his starter salad before we received the complementary scones. I also overheard from the table behind us that his Ian's Shepherd's Pie was, "all potatoes and no meat." So, they of course took his plate back and tried again. It looked like he kind of dug around in the new one and wasn't overly impressed with the second attempt, but didn't say anything. We were finished before they were, so I wasn't able to see the final outcome.
Ranking: 4 Carrots

No comments:

Post a Comment