Search This Blog

Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Jazz Cafe

I have found a new best friend and it plays jazz to me and feeds me wonderful vegetarian delights.
After several failed attempts to go to the Jazz Cafe for brunch we finally made it today for a friends birthday. After eating not so good sushi (review coming) and drinking (late but not too late) for said friend's birthday, we decided to get together on actual birthday for brunch.
Do not be afraid - you might drive past this inconspicuous building on Montgomery more than once. And, you might not be able to find parking in their tiny parking lot (it's worth it to park in the street or a lot across the street on the weekend). Or once you finally make it to the entrance the not so well kept patio could deter you from entering, but fear not - I won't lead you astray.
Today I entered the morning version of the Scat Jazz Lounge - my calling in another life. The music was playing, the tables were full and the place smelled wonderful.
I sat down at the table and made the comment that the food would have to be really bad for me not to return. And overall, I wasn't disappointed. This menu has a little bit of something good for everyone. I debated seriously between the Black Bean Enchiladas and the BOS eggs - I had to decide what I would order the next time I came. I decided on the BOS eggs (after prompting from the waitress) and was not disappointed. Now mind you it's not a Mexican joint, but it's definitely a spin on a classic. Scrambled eggs stuffed with cheese, onion, tortilla chips, potatoes, and jalapenos w/ a spicy black bean and pico on the side. They give you three tortillas to create your own breakfast tacos. Other orders at the table included Steak and Eggs w/ a side of French Toast (made with an English Muffin - a unique way to create french toast); Eggs Florentine (Eggs Benedict made w/ spinach in place of the ham) w/ a side of a single pancake (large enough to feed the table, this pancake was killer. Thick, fluffy and with a spice in the batter it was excellent); and a half order of Eggs Benedict. All the eggs were poached just right - not too runny and not too hard. The sauce was thick, but not chunky.
Yes, you can get a full order or half order of most of the Benedict options - just the right size for portion control - I don't know who wants portion control with this type food - but it's there.
One downside was the lack of service. We got one coffee & water refill the entire time we were there and we were there for a while. A table of two sat after us and got their food service almost a full 15 minutes before us. That was probably the most frustrating was waiting and waiting and waiting to get our food. And then really once we ordered we didn't see our waitress again until she brought us our food and then we had to go track her down to pay (literally).
Don't be fooled - I'll go again. I wasn't in a hurry this visit and I'll make sure I'm not in a hurry next time. It was worth the wait to enjoy the conversation with our friends and listen to the great music.
Don't forget the following: At the Jazz Cafe it's okay to call in an order to go, bring cash or check book - they don't take credit/debit cards, it's first come first serve seat yourself.
Ranking: 4 Carrots

No comments:

Post a Comment