Search This Blog

Monday, February 22, 2010

Cowtown Diner

This is Fort Worth's newest spot. Don't expect to find much here that is Veg friendly - mostly breakfast. But for those of you that eat meat - expect to be wowed.
Cowtown Diner has remodeled the old La Madeline in downtown to a Texas worthy - chic friendly hang out. The interior is leather and animal hide meets shabby-chic. Well done to the decorator - I was impressed. I am still baffled that they did not utilize the great outdoor space that comes with their space...
Hubby has eaten here multiple times (mostly without me, you'll see why in a moment). Each time he he has been overwhelmed by the creative use of "traditional" Texas mixed with upscale "cafe" style food. Don't be shocked though if you dish comes out missing items or not "put together" as the menu is written. Each visit has included a few faux paux.
My first visit included ordering a dish that they don't even serve on the menu anymore. It was a breakfast play on King Ranch Casserole - eggs, tortilla, cheese, tomato, corn, and tortilla strips. I made sure to ask the waiter that the menu was printed correctly and it had no meat product - after being assured, I ordered what I thought would be an unhealthy breakfast treat. When it arrived it was chalked full of CHICKEN - what?? I then proceeded to return it, only to have it return missing half the items on the menu. It came back as tortilla on the bottom, soggy and covered in this nasty cheese sauce and nothing else... no egg, no tomato, no corn... at this point I was a little annoyed. Hubby had already licked his plate clean and so what was the point in me eating now. But after a side of eggs was brought I attempted to enjoy my breakfast. It was so thick, heavy and creamy - a few bites later I was finished. I learned my lesson - stick to the waffles or pancakes.
Hubby enjoyed his Short Rib Benedict so much that he needed dessert at 10:30 in the morning. He swears that the short ribs alone were the best he has ever had, much less on his favorite breakfast/brunch item. The menu has either changed - or they didn't get the order right when we were there, but it was short ribs served on a homemade potato cake, with a poached egg and the tabasco hollandaise. After eating that manly meal - a slice of homemade pie was ordered. The inside was underwhelming, but the homemade crust was to die for. Get the pie for the crust.
Rating for veg-friendly & getting it together: 1 Carrot
Rating for my husband: 3 Carrots

1 comment:

  1. Scott here, owner Cowtown Diner. We have some great vegetarian options coming in the next few weeks and are working on all the breakfast kinks. Thanks for the review and hope to see you soon.
    Scott

    ReplyDelete